Saturday, March 1, 2014

Semi-homemade gluten free pop-tarts and an evening out!

Well, since I will be going to the local dinner theatre, for a production of Dixie Swim Club, I won't me be making supper tonight! YAY!! They are serving fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, biscuits, and such. Sounds delicious! I can't wait!!  And, the girls are super excited to be with a babysitter tonight. So, it is a win-win!

Anyway...  Since my oldest child is on a gluten, dairy, and egg free diet, cooking for her can be, well, let's say challenging. Ok, I know what you are thinking... "How in the world do you cook like that? Doesn't EVERYTHING have one of those 3 things in it?" My answers are usually, "Very carefully." And, "Yes, yes most recipes do contain one of those three ingredients." So, yeah, I will just say, honestly, it sucks! I am not always successful at making meals that are free of all three. I use a lot of gluten free flours and mixes. I also usually only use almond milk in place of milk, and duck eggs, when I can get them. Supposedly, duck eggs have a different protein than chicken eggs.

I try to make things that are within her dietary guidelines, good for her, and as easy as possible to make.  This is also a challenge, at times.

So, one thing my daughter loves is homemade pop-tarts. They are VERY easy to make and they do not have all of the extra processed ingredients or preservatives in them. I usually make up a batch and freeze them in a container with wax paper between the layers. Then, when she wants one for breakfast, I can pop one in the microwave or toaster for a short amount of time, and presto! Breakfast!

Semi-homemade gluten free pop-tarts
1 container gluten free pie and pastry dough
Jelly or jam of choice
Sugar/cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Roll out already prepared pie and pastry dough. You could use homemade pie crust or store bought pie crust. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut rectangles the size you want your pop-tarts to be. Spoon jam or jelly on to half the pieces of dough. Spread to approximately 1/4 inch of the edges. Place a cut piece of dough on top. Repeat for all pieces. Use fork tines to press and seal around all the edges of each tart. Poke a couple sets of holes in the top of each pop-tart, to allow the steam to release. Place pop-tarts on a baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle each tart with a little white granulated sugar and/or cinnamon. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment