Sunday, March 2, 2014

A cold and lazy Sunday, and chili cornbread bake... YUM!


Well, I took the saying that Sunday should be a day of rest to heart. I really did not do hardly anything today. The only productive thing I did, beside cook a meal, is to make another batch of homemade laundry soap/sauce. It is such a pretty pink this time. I might have to make it blue next time, that way it matches my laundry decor a little more. Yes, you just read that last sentence correctly. I have issues with things matching... I blame it on my older sister. It really is all her fault. I will have to share that story with you another time. Ha! It really is funny...

For this recipe, I really just scrounged around in the pantry and fridge to see what I had on hand. I had no idea what I was going to throw together. Below is the result.

Chili Cornbread Bake
Chili-
1-1.5 lbs. ground beef   
1 can chili beans
1 small can enchilada sauce

Brown ground beef in skillet. Add in chili beans, undrained, and can of enchilada sauce. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. If too runny, make a slurry of 1 Tbsp. corn starch and 1 Tbsp. water, stir in to chili and let simmer, until thickened.

Cornbread-
2 c. yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-3/4 c. buttermilk
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 450. Mix dry ingredients together. Add in egg and buttermilk. Stir all ingredients, just until combined. 
- Being partially dairy free, I substituted 1-3/4 c. almond milk and 1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice. While the almond milk was in the liquid measuring cup, I added the lemon juice and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  

Put chili in bottom of 2 qt. casserole dish. Spoon the cornbread batter over the top, making sure to cover as much of the chili as possible. Do NOT stir in to the chili. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown. I sprinkled a little cheese on top, because cheese makes everything a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment