Tuesday, March 18, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Breakfast and Crock Pot Corned Beef and Veggies!

My mom always had a way of making your regular old pancakes something special on holidays. We often would have stocking or Christmas tree shaped pancakes, bunnies, and hearts. As children, and even as adults, we loved this special treat. Having the special shapes somehow made your everyday pancake taste better! 

So, I started this tradition with my children as well. Typically, we have pink hearts for Valentine's Day, green shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day, Bunny head shaped for Easter (with chocolate chip eyes and nose), and Christmas trees for Christmas. 

There is a trick to pouring these my hand and it does take some practice. They will NOT turn out perfect the first time. I often warm my children that they may be somewhat deranged looking... But, the perfectionist in me struggles with ugly, imperfect pancakes. It is just one of the many crosses that I bear. Ha! 

Corned beef and cabbage was the other St. Patrick's Day meal that I remember my mom making. I love corned beef! So, here's to happy eating...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I know, I know.. I am a day late...


Shamrock Pancakes  
1 batch pancake batter
Green food coloring
Large serving spoon
Maple syrup


Mix up pancake batter, add green food coloring. Spray griddle with cooking spray. Heat griddle over medium to medium  high heat. Using a large spoon, pour batter on griddle in a shamrock share, or you can make the usual round shape. To make the shamrocks, I pour 3 Vs (one with open end up, then one facing left and the other facing right), with the points close to each other, or touching, then add a stem. The batter will spread out and connect/join together to make the shamrock shape. Cook on one side until golden, then flip and cook the other side. Serve with syrup.




Crock Pot Corned Beef
4-5 potatoes
Baby carrots
Corned beef brisket
1-2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. water

Cut up potatoes and put in bottom of crock. You can peel your potatoes, if you wish. Add baby carrots. Place corned beef brisket on top of veggies. Pour 1-2 T. of worcestershire sauce over brisket, and pour water around the brisket. Cook on low in crock pot for 6-8 hours. If you want to cook the cabbage in the crock pot as well, add it on top the last 30 minutes, and turn on high.  Cabbage can also be boiled in a stock pot. If you decide to cook it that way, add about 1/2 to 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pan, bring to a boil. Add quartered cabbage, place lid on pot. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, then turn wedges and cook an an additional 8-10 minutes. Once cabbage is tender, drain off water, add 3-4 T. butter and stir in with cabbage, until melted. Salt and pepper, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment