Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Something strange is in the air and the sweet aroma of Chicken Pot Pie!

Something strange was in the air today. I really don't know if it was the fact that we actually broke 40 degrees today, or what it was, but things in the atmosphere were just out of whack. My easy going, compliant, happy, sweet child was not so easy going, noncompliant, unhappy, and far from sweet. Meanwhile, my trying child was very helpful and in a surprisingly good mood. To be honest, I was actually somewhat frightened...

A little humor for you, from our drive home from town this afternoon... Harley was asking me a question about Heaven. I told her that I didn't know the answer to her question, because I have never been to Heaven. To which she replied, "Well, when you go to heaven, send me a telegram, would ya?" As I was trying not to laugh at the whole telegram comment, I asked her, "How do you know that I am going to go first?" I could tell that she had not thought about the possibility that she may be there before myself. But I was not prepared for this, "So, are you saying you are going to kill me before you die?" I really had no response to this question, other than complete, hard core laughter. I won't lie, there have been days, my dear child, there have been days... 

Aside from whatever weird stuff is in the air, which is causing personality swaps in my children, I can smell the heavenly aroma of Chicken Pot Pie.... Enjoy!

P.S. Please do not judge the crust... I had issues, it had issues, WE had issues. Just take in how wonderfully golden brown it is and how gloriously flaky it looks.


Chicken Pot Pie
4 T. butter      
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen vegetables
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. gluten free flour
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
2 c. chopped chicken (4-6 oz. cans, drained)
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 gluten free pie crust

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables. I used Country Blend, because I do not like peas. Stir the veggies in the skillet, approximately 7 minutes, or until tender. Add flour, stir until smooth. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and stir in cream. Cook for 5 minutes, until thickened, stirring frequently. Once thickened, stir in chicken, thyme, salt, and pepper. 

Pour chicken mixture into a coated 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Unroll or roll out pie crust (store bought or homemade). Place over filling, fold edges under and cut a slit in the top, to allow steam to be released. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, before serving.

1 comment: