Sunday, May 11, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent... Works great and is WAY cheaper!

About a year ago, I had heard people buzzing about making their own laundry detergent. At that time, I was thinking that was too much work and it was WAY easier to just buy it at the store and be done with it. I hate doing laundry more than just about any other chore around the house. 

Well, a couple months ago, I decided to give it a try. Why not? If it didn't work, I wasn't out much and then, I would know... Well... I love it. It works so good, is super easy to make, and saves a TON of money. So, today, I was due to make another batch... The container that I store it in was E-M-P-T-Y!! 

Homemade Laundry Detergent
1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap-Grated
1 C. 20 MuleTeam Borax
1 C. Arm&Hammer Washing Soda-Not baking soda
3 C. Water
Canning jars with lids (I used 3 pint jars)

Place all ingredients in a dutch oven and simmer until dissolved. Be careful not to allow it to boil over. It would definite give you incentive to clean off your stove top, but it makes a horrible mess!


Evenly divide soap mixture between the jars. Fill half to 3/4 full. Top off with water and stir to combine. Let set up for 24 hours. It will separate into two layers; a thick white substance and yellow liquid. Use a butter knife to cut through the thick white layer, and pour into a blender or food processor. I used my Kitchen Aide mixer and poured all 3 pint jars into the bowl. 

Blend until smooth-like mayonnaise. Rinse out canning jars (there may be some borax crystals in the bottom), and scrape the detergent back into the canning jar. Store in your laundry room. Use one tablespoon per regular load (1/2 tablespoon for HE).

No comments:

Post a Comment