Monday, May 12, 2014

Chicken and Green Chili Pasta- Something Comforting For a Rainy Day!

It started raining mid-day today and I was very happy to see it raining and to hear the thunder. I love it when it rains. The only thing that I would have changed, would have been for me to be at home, curled up with my kitty, Oscar, and reading a good book. 

I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest... Isn't that where EVERYONE finds their recipes? It had my attention from the first time I read the name of it and saw a picture. It looked so creamy, and cheesy, and yummy. Tonight when I bought groceries, I decided to get the stuff to try it out. I did modify it so that it would be gluten free. Enjoy!

Chicken and Green Chili Pasta

1 lb. penne pasta
2 chicken thighs, cooked and shredded (2 cups)

1/2 C. chopped onion
2 C. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour (I used gluten free AP flour)
2 C. chicken broth
1 C. sour cream
4 oz. diced green chilies

1 tsp. cumin 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta acoording to package, drain and set aside. Spray 9X13 baking pan or casserole dish. In a mixing bowl, stir together chicken and cheese. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour to make a roux and let bubble for 1 minute. Slowly add in chicken broth and stir constantly. Let bubble and thicken for 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream, green chilies, and cumin. This does not have a strong cumin flavor. If you like cumin, you could easily add another 1/2 tsp. and if you are really brave, a full teaspoon more. Stir until well combined. In 9×13 baking dish, layer pasta, chicken and cheese mixture, two times. Then pour sauce over top. Do not stir. Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.
Original recipe from: JoyfulMommasKitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment