Monday, October 13, 2014

Cheesy Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole

The weather here has been very rainy and cold. The temperatures have finally dropped off and our highs have only been in the 50s the last few days. I am loving the fall weather, but wish I could stay at home, snuggled up with my cat and a good book. I was really craving comfort food. Comfort food, to me, is usually something warm, and with lots of melted cheese. Oh! Add some potatoes in there too! So, as I was browsing around Pinterest looking for some ideas, I came across a recipe that I knew I had everything to make. I took this recipe and adapted it some, to fit my comfort food craving, and voila! 

Enjoy!

Cheesy Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole
3 C. potatoes, boiled and cut into cubes, approx. 1 lb.
4 Tbsp. butter
Tbsp. flour (I used gluten free flour)
2 C. milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, diced
1/2 C. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb. skinless smoked sausage
1/8 tsp. smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 350*. Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then slice into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, until slightly brown. While the sausage is browning up, put the cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add the cooked sausage. Mix all remaining ingredients (except shredded cheddar cheese & paprika), with a whisk, in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted, and smooth. Stir constantly. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and meat, stir to combine. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
*You can substitute: 1/2 lb. hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch slices OR 1/2 lb. ham diced into 1/2-inch dices OR 12 oz. can of Spam diced into 1/2-inch dices, instead of the smoked sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment